What does physical therapy entail?
It’s an important question, and the answer will help you understand how a physical therapist can improve your ability to move and function, while also benefiting your general fitness and health.
Rehabilitation includes a variety of common physical therapy techniques and treatments that are specifically designed to address injuries sustained by the structures of the musculoskeletal system: bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and cartilage.
- Hot/Cold packs can prepare muscles for exercise and manipulation or reduce inflammation to make movement less painful
- Electrical stimulation activates nerves in damaged tissues to help develop strength and stability
- Ultrasound generates sound waves that are transferred to a specific part of the body using a probe. The sound waves travel deep into tissue creating gentle heat
- Medical massage is an outcome-based massage that applies specific treatments targeted to physical therapy to help muscles function
- Strength and stability exercises are used to help the body reestablish the proper function of the musculoskeletal tissues
- Stretching tight muscles and joints can help relieve pain and get patients back to their previous range of motion