Pain Awareness Month: 10 Benefits of Physical Therapy
According to the CDC, approximately 20% of the population experiences some form of chronic pain. September is Pain Awareness Month and is a reminder of the importance of getting timely treatment for pain management. Physical therapy, for instance, is a non-invasive holistic approach focused on helping people manage chronic pain and restore functionality. At Twin Boro Physical Therapy, our physical therapists are trained healthcare professionals who specialize in treating different types of pain. In this article, we will explain the ten benefits of treating chronic or acute pain with physical therapy.
What is Pain Awareness Month?
Pain Awareness Month is a month to highlight the practical nature of pain perception and treatment. It aims to educate the public about the prevalence of pain in our society and the importance of identifying, assessing, and managing pain. According to a US Pain Foundation survey, 71% of people suffering from chronic pain consider themselves disabled. Luckily, you can do many things to improve your ability to cope with pain, including taking better care of your body, learning coping skills, and finding support among friends and family. Twin Boro Physical Therapy helps to manage symptoms such as nerve impingement, muscle spasms, and back pain. Our physical therapy interventions also help relieve joint stiffness and improve the range of motion.
How Can Physical Therapy Help with Pain?
The main solution for long-term chronic pain is physical therapy. Physical therapy can help:
- Improve joint mobility
- Increase joint stability by strengthening the surrounding muscles
- Improve flexibility and balance
- Reduce reliance on pain medications
- Maximize your functional potential
When Should I See a Physical Therapist?
There are multiple reasons that warrant a visit to a physical therapist. If you have any of the following symptoms, please schedule an appointment:
- Unable to bear weight on your knee
- Joint swelling
- Unable to extend to flex at the affected joint
- Obvious redness or deformity at affected joint
- Associated fever with above mentioned symptoms
10 Benefits of Physical Therapy
Physical therapy is an effective treatment for chronic pain, which means it’s a good choice for people who are experiencing nerve or muscle damage caused by an injury, illness, or no apparent reason. Here are ten benefits of physical therapy for chronic pain:
- Reduces inflammation.
- Inflammation is a normal part of the body’s response to injury or illness. The experts at Twin Boro can help you manage inflammatory joint conditions such as arthritis. Their arthritis rehabilitation program offers a customized physical therapy program to help with symptom relief.
- Decrease the effects of arthritis, tendinitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and other conditions.
- Muscle stiffness and spasms can be caused by injuries, disease, surgery, or aging. Twin Boro has dedicated treatment programs for patients who have arthritis.
- Improves balance by increasing coordination between the brain and nervous system.
- Injuries to the brain and spinal cord can cause these cells to have permanent damage. At Twin Boro, you will work toward regaining an independent life. Physical Therapy helps you increase functional ability as you strive toward your desired functional goals.
- Improves the strength and function of muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
- There are a variety of disorders that can affect the spine, causing dysfunction from the neck to the lower back. Spinal Orthopedic Rehabilitation reduces pain and improves patient’s ability to move. Physical therapy is used to improve function after an injury, spinal surgery, or other health conditions.
- Physical therapy improves strength by increasing muscle mass through resistance and weight training exercises.
- Resistance training programs developed by physical therapists are not just for athletes. Individuals suffering from pain also benefit from custom treatment plans to improve the individuals ability to move and live a healthy lifestyle.
- Improves posture during daily activities for Seniors.
- Poor posture as one ages causes pain and stiffness. Movement becomes more difficult and painful. Twin Boro provides geriatric rehabilitation so individuals can improve posture to decrease risk of falling during daily activities.
- Reduces stress, boosts your immune system, increases energy levels, and improves self-confidence.
- People suffer injuries all the time and it is important to actively recover from those injuries to remain independent and confident in daily tasks. Twin Boro provides hands-on interventions for affected individuals so they can return to their typical activities safely and quickly.
- Helps relieve pain and activates hand movements.
- Some conditions can restrict the fine motor skills required to perform daily tasks. Twin Boro has established advanced and evidence-based care based on patient’s individual and intricate needs.
- Alternative treatment for headaches when other methods of treating headaches do not improve the patient’s symptoms.
- Some diseases and injuries can cause pain in the head and neck, chronic headaches, and pain in the face, ears, or jaws. Twin Boro has TMD (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder) specialists who treat people suffering from these physical conditions.
- Physical therapy is also beneficial for people with dysfunctions of the vestibular system.
- A dysfunctional vestibular system can cause dizziness, vertigo, imbalance, and spatial disorientation. Vestibular rehabilitation at Twin Boro has a 90% success rate and is designed with exercises that improves an individual’s ability to move about with a decreased concern of falling.
Who Should See a Physical Therapist?
Patients who want to decrease the need for taking opioid pain medications should see a physical therapist. Studies suggest that physical therapy proves to be effective in treating conditions that 3 million Americans live with daily. At Twin Boro, our customized exercise programs help to address the source of pain directly and ultimately improve function. In addition, we offer a variety of therapies specifically for patients suffering from back pain, including neuromuscular reduction, exercise, hands on therapy, and more.
Why Choose Twin Boro for Physical Therapy?
Twin Boro Physical Therapy, offers a variety of treatment procedures that can help you alleviate your symptoms and allow you to live your best and most active life. Contact us today at 1-866-407-2144 for a consultation with one of our physical therapists. Our experts will listen to your concerns and guide you through the scheduling process to make it easier!