Swimming Injury Prevention and Performance
The best way to avoid swimming injuries to is learn the proper technique, and institute a training program developed by a sports health professional to help the athlete develop and strengthen the muscles they use to swim.
Other ways to avoid injury include:
- Strengthening of the rotator cuff and scapula stabilizing muscles are key to preventing shoulder injuries.
- Core strengthening exercises should be incorporated before and during the competitive season to decrease the risk of lower back injuries.
- Proper swimming technique is critical to not only swim successfully but also prevent injury.
- Decreasing the volume and intensity of swimming can help decrease the risk of swimming related injury.
- Coaches and parents of swimmers should encourage athletes to communicate with them regarding any unusual joint pain they may be experiencing