Does your hip hurt? You may think it’s inevitable, the pain, popping, and soreness that tends to come with age. Some of us feel it in our knees, many of us feel it in our hips. As the two largest ball and socket joints in the body, hips are important for mobility and posture. Whether you experience pain in the left or right hip area or have pain in the upper buttocks, it can be difficult to tell where the pain is actually stemming from.
Similar to other types of chronic pain, women tend to experience it more than men. But, hip pain can be due to a number of different causes. Is your hip actually the problem? Let’s find out.
What is Causing the Pain in Your Hip?
Hip pain can be difficult to diagnose. Patients might say they have pain in the right hip area, but it could be that they’re feeling pain on one side of their upper buttock or they may be experiencing sciatica hip pain.
When a patient presents with hip pain, we always consider their age, activity level and build. If, for example, the patient is an athletic 25-year old runner, the causes of their hip pain probably is different than an overweight, sedentary 70-year old.
Some common causes of hip pain include:
- Arthritis– The wear and tear effects of osteoarthritis can be felt in the front of the thigh or groin due to swelling in the joint.
- Hip Fractures– Common in older women, hip fractures will be extremely painful and disabling.
- Bursitis or Tendinitis– Often due to overuse, tendinitis in the hip is inflamed tendons. This is a common injury sustained by runners.
- Hernia- Sports hernia is a type of hernia. Anterior groin pain may be such a hernia.
- Gynecological Problems– Pain in the hip can be caused by gynecological issues such as endometriosis.
- Sciatica- Typically affecting one side of the body, sciatica can cause pain in the back of the left or right hip that may travel to the same leg and even foot.
Avoid Pain in the Hip Area
If you’ve been lucky enough to ward off hip pain so far, congratulations! Let’s keep it that way.
Remember to always warm up before you exercise, wear properly fitting shoes and maintain proper posture. Finally, if you feel pain in your right or left hip area, listen to your body. Know when to rest so you can avoid further injury.
Manage Hip Pain with Twin Boro
At Twin Boro, we have specialists knowledgeable in physical therapy treatments for hip pain and can provide a multitude of options to help you manage pain and get back to doing what you love. From Sports Rehab to Geriatric Rehabilitation, we have you covered.
Call1-888-416-8001 to schedule your no-obligation appointment at one of our 23 convenient New Jersey clinics.
Twin Boro Physical Therapy: Voted Readers’ Choice Best of New Jersey
Voted Readers’ Choice Best of New Jersey, Twin Boro has provided NJ residents with high quality physical therapy and rehab for close to 40 years! It’s our award-winning approach, proven results and reputation that sets us apart. By incorporating the One2Four program into each patient’s program, the latest and most reliable scientific research and techniques are incorporated into effective evidence-based practice. We deliver only the highest standard of care with the unique One2Four approach.
It’s no surprise that Twin Boro Physical Therapy has also been voted the best physical therapy practice in New Jersey by the readers of mycentraljersey.com.